Error Case: Failed to retrieve directory listing
Response: 257 “/” is your current location
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode
Error: The data connection could not be established: ETIMEDOUT – Connection attempt timed out
Error: Connection timed out after 60 seconds of inactivity
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing
How to solve FTP Failed to retrieve directory listing from CSF ConfigServer Security & Firewall
the issue with this ftp error that your server is blocking the Passive port range 30000 35000 , so we have to allow those port range from configserver by allowing TCP_IN , to do that you can do it by two ways:
- From your WHM Home »Plugins »ConfigServer Security & Firewall , Allow incoming TCP ports on TCP_IN = then add the following port range 30000:35000 and press Change Button, and CSF will ask for restart the configserver to take effect , Click Restart Csf+ldf button , then you will be able to connect to your FTP site without any issue.
- Or you can do the following step:
- Login to the server via SSH as root
- Edit /etc/csf/csf.conf and look for the line that begins with: TCP_IN
- add 30000:35000 to TCP_IN section .
- Run csf -r to reload the config in the live firewall
Solve Failed to retrieve directory listing Over SSL
In this scenario you can connect via FTP on plain text (none secure connection ), but unable to use FTP over TLS , you are getting the Error:Failed to retrieve directory listing .
You can follow the same steps as above but replace the port range on those steps with 60000:60100